Thursday, September 15, 2011

Social Media Post

As a person growing up in a generation where technology is the way of life, I must take extra precautions when it comes to posting things online. As a responsible user of multimedia content, I believe that there is an obvious limit with what should get put online from my personal life. With what the public sees through my personal web pages and other media on the internet, they can interpret the kind of person I am without ever even meeting me.
There is a lot different ways people can research others via the web, but among these many different websites, the most prominent are facebook.com, youtube.com, and even google.com. Facebook, a popular, fast growing social media website has become one of the largest sources to hook up with friends online. Facebook has many features which include chatting, creating groups, and starting events in designated areas. Obviously this media can be very helpful, but can hurt a person’s reputation if used incorrectly. I must be very careful when posting things on Facebook, including pictures, videos, status updates and groups, just to name a few. Aside from posting my own pictures, I must also be very watchful of what others may post on Facebook. I always have very tight security on my multimedia websites so that this can be prevented, so that when I am being observed by professionals, I should not have to sweat about what may be on my website. Also I must be very mindful that at any point in time, a person I’m trying to get a job from can Google my name. I must make sure constantly that nothing inappropriate is put up, and even do my own Google searches to double check this.
The more that technology advances and the more people “buy in” to these multimedia websites, the more employers are utilizing the multimedia to help ensure they are hiring a trustworthy employee. They are looking through all of your social archives for anything that could be flagged as inappropriate, such as pictures, videos, etc. Extreme caution does not even sum up the action one must take in implementing themselves through social media. Every person who decides to use the social media mentioned and even those not mentioned for recreation must realize above all else, that it only takes one bad piece of media being spotted  to be left in the unemployment line.

No comments:

Post a Comment